Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Treasure Table Maze....2007

Every year at one of our guild meetings they offer a "Treasure Table" where you can buy and sell items to benefit both yourself and the guild. In 2007 they were selling sacks of "charm squares".....5" squares of donated fabric. I bought a lot of them to try making a "scrappy" quilt.

Some of these fabrics are so ugly on their own, I wondered why on earth I wanted to use them! However, I believe that ugly fabric can be made into beautiful quilts when used in a scrappy project. I decided to do a simple half square triangle design with half light and half dark in each square and see what I ended up with. There were not very many true "lights" in the batch that I bought, but I managed to find mixes that weren't too bad and then laid them out in a sort of maze. It was fun playing with the lines and colors trying to get something that I liked in the end!

The finished project was not going to be large enough to cover a queen size bed and I didn't want to add a lot of fabric of my own. So I added a border to the top that required off-whites from my stash and then appliqued simple flowers on it and put yo-yo's in their centers. I also added an extra wide green border at the bottom to help make it longer. It still does not cover the pillows and I am making shams to use with it.

Once again, Linda B did the quilting and quilted beautiful flowers in the bottom border and leaves in the top border....gorgeous! I love what she did with it.

An extra flower went on the back for a label.
It happened to be the year of our local quilt show, so I hung this quilt as my entry. Our show is not juried or judged and everyone in the guild is encouraged to hang something.

It was a lot of fun to see my quilt hanging in the show! It really made me feel like a quilter after years of "practice" .......now we are preparing for our show in 2009!

4 comments:

Sherrie said...

Beautiful Scrap quilt!!!! I love it!!!

Sherrie

Mary said...

Sherrie: Thank you! It was the first real scrappy quilt I ever tried.

sandy said...

I SO enjoy coming here...beautiful quilt.

Mary said...

Sandy: Thanks! You simply have to find an quilt show to go to! I know you would love it!