I decided that I might as well include things that I'm working on and even give some details of how to make them for the quilters who read this. I saw a small wall quilt in the September/October issue of "Fons & Porter's Love of Quilting" Magazine that featured fall colors with pumpkins, a ghost and a bat. I liked the look, but wanted something that was not Halloween only. So I followed their general instructions and then changed the appliques to what I wanted! This is the top project in the picture below.
At our next Quilt Guild meeting we are suppose to bring something to be auctioned off for charity, so I decided to make something similar as a runner. When I got the top of the runner finished, I realized that I had more use for a runner than a wall hanging, so I will give the wall hanging to the guild and keep the runner! Neither is complete in the above picture. The wall hanging needs to have the binding sewn down in back and the runner is just a top at this stage ready for me to blanket stitch the appliques.
Picking the fabric is the fun part and I wanted fall colors that more or less matched what they used in the magazine.....only a little brighter and less "country" :-)
Since this project is in a magazine, I don't know if it is OK to give the deminisions I used or not! My strips were cut 2 1/2" by 4 1/2" wide.
You add a 4 1/2 " corner square. In the original they applique candy corn in the corners.
(I was still playing with what I wanted on it in this photo with it hanging on my design wall.) Once the top is assembled, I used WonderUnder to fuse the leaves and pumpkins and such to the top and then blanket stitch around them. I free handed the pumpkin patterns and found leaves to trace on-line and in books.
I can't do the nice free-motion quilting they did in the magazine so I just marked off a grid and quilted the center area of the wall hanging. I probably won't do that much on the runner for myself! I've really got to work on my quilting.....both hand and machine!
I used left over strips cut narrower for the runner and a different center fabric.
I've got a lot of stitching to do! I'll add completed pictures later when they are done. Our meeting is the first Wednesday in October, so I need to get that binding sewn down first!
6 comments:
The pics don't really capture the beauty of the batiks. They are what makes this particular quilt so wonderful.
I started cutting strips today for 9 patches for the quilt you and I are making. About time.
Melissa: I agree about the batiks. Photos never capture the real beauty of any quilted item. I'll get busy on more 9-patches, too. I picked out some different fabrics after talking to you last time. Let me know if our sizes don't agree so we can adjust!
I tried to comment on several here yesterday/last night and I kept timing out, I don't know if it was blogger or me. But I tried to tell you.
I LOVE them all. And this top one is gorgeous with those colors.
I know why I don't start this as a hobby. I am obsessive about stuff and I would spend a fortune on fabric, I could not control myself. With wanting to move in a year I wouldn't want to have all the supplies for this hobby to move also. But one of these days I can't wait to try this.
Sandy: OK....I'll let you off the hook until you move :-) It is easy to get obssessed with fabric! That is why we all have stashes! I probably have enough fabric now to make 100 quilts and keep buying more. I'm trying to make myself use what is in my stash for awhile. You might enjoy looking at quilt books and magazines. There are lots at the library as well as stores. One of my sisters does not quilt, but she buys other people's quilts and likes the books of pretty pictures of quilts.
Very nice. I love seasonal things. I did a wall hanging sort of thing years ago of a witch flying over a town on her broomstick. I don't think I would call it a wall hanging even, it was more like a collage of material pieces stitched together here and there, and I used to hang it in my classroom every year around Halloween time. I shall have to dig it out and see if its anything I might post on Gallimaufry Gleanings (for we all know that's a hodge podge and anything can go there :-).
Ann: Ok....I'm laughing about the hodgepodge :-) Would love to see your witch on broomstick. I always think that collages are neat. Sticking all sorts of things together to make something new....in a way that is what quilters do!
Post a Comment