Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Mary's Quilt Thoughts #2...

It's funny but when I chose the name for my blog, I didn't even think about "corners" for the header photos! I just accidentally did one and then suddenly the "light bulb" came on and I realized how appropriate it was considering the name, and that I would have an endless supply of photos for the header :-) A lot about quilting is often "accidental" and we start one thing and then end up with something totally different. Little "light bulbs" of inspiration are what end up making our quilts special and teach us things.

4 comments:

Katney said...

Hey, you have really hit it on the head. LEt me ask you a question--do you follow patterns? Really follow patterns? All the way?

No?

I didn't think so. Neither do I.

I can write pretty good directions, though.

Mary said...

Katney: You are so right...patterns are a nice guideline, but I usually end up straying somewhere. Most of my quilts are sort of made up as I go unless I'm taking a class. I think I follow the theory and technique mostly. Of course we all use traditional blocks from time to time, but it is what we do with them that makes it fun :-)

sandy said...

Mary, thanks for all your comments, how sweet.

I'm on my way out the door to go to Pismo to visit my sis (coast area)....I'm taking my laptop so I can keep up with your quilts...I just did a quick scan but have to come back probably tonight when I go to bed and have my laptop handy.

What I've seen is beautiful but too rushed to "appreciate" everything about them...

see ya later.

Mary said...

Sandy: You're in California, right? If so there are several big quilt shows out there and lots of wonderful quilters. Just going to a quilt shop usually will have dozens of wonderful quilts hanging on the walls :-) In Octorber there is a show in Santa Clara if you are anywhere near there. There is a big show called "Road to California" each year, also.