This first picture is to show you the problem with photographing this one! It is high on the wall in my entryway over a winding staircase that is hard to stand on.

I saw a Simply Quilts show about making a house block quilt and decided it would be fun to make house blocks for every season/month with different fabrics for the sky and houses and ground and then embellish them. Well.......since I don't live in a traditional house, I sort of made up my own "dome" block (I hadn't learned about Snowball Blocks yet). It does not really look like my dome and the door is too large. I call this "Folk Art" at best :-)

It was fun to make and to think of different things to do on each block. I quickly decided that each door would get a different treatment and then just did whatever came to mind. Had a great time choosing fabrics, but would change many of them, if I was doing it over! I really dislike the lighter colored domes....especially the July block. The only real quilting I did on the blocks was to make the triangle and hexagon "skylights" that are typical of a dome. The only other quilting is in the red area around each block and I did that on machine.

I tried to photograph each of the "quadrants"....I have 16 blocks. This is January and February in the top row, and May and June in the bottom row. Some months get 2 blocks.

The other top 2 rows right side: March and April in the top row and June#2 and July in the bottom row.

Lower half left side: July #2 and August top row, and October and November in the bottom row. My favorite kitties are all scattered around on various blocks.

Bottom half of quilt right side: September #1 and 2 in the top row, and November #2 and December in the bottom row. Note the humongous squirrel on top of the dome in September 2....squirrels love to go over the top of the dome to get from one side to the other. We've had them peek in our skylight over our bed before.
I have close-ups of the blocks in the bottom 2 rows, but cannot get good shots of the top 2 rows without bringing in a ladder! Actually....far away is better on some of these :-)

This is a dome cross stitch that I did when we moved here and it looks more like the actual dome :-) I designed the pattern myself and my dad made the frame for me, so it has special meaning for me. I thought it was neat that he tried to make something that accented the odd shape of our house. Dad loved woodworking and I have other items he made.
You may not be able to click on all of these pictures and make them larger to see details because I screwed up loading them in the correct order and Blogger doesn't like that. I had to insert one of them after I was done. I wanted to take individual pictures of each block, but it is so hard with where it is hanging and they end up in weird perspective because you are looking upward at them. If I ever take it down, I will rephotograph it!
4 comments:
I love peeking in at your house and great seeing that beautiful quilt up at the top of the stairs.
Sandy: that's probably the best view. I'm not a decorator and am basically just a "country girl" who likes to be comfortable. Most people would say there is too much green in my house :-) Once when I had gotten my house all cleaned up for a party, my daughter looked at it and said "Now, it's just a house, not a home". How wise, the young :-) Normally, it is very much "home" and lived in looking...too much so.
How interesting your house is and it must be lovely with all your quilting and projects hanging around here and there. The closest I have gotten to making a seasonal wall hanging was going outside and collecting different leaves, then sewing their outlined shapes to blocks and then embroidering around them and putting in lines for the leaf veins. It was fun and each block represents a memory of favourite trees for we do not live in that location anymore. Your seasonal domes are lovely.
Ann: that sounds so interesting! I can tell you are an artist....I would not even think of doing that. Would love to see it some time! My dome quilt is pretty crude.....folk art, like I said...but it was a lot of fun. As the critical person who made it, I constantly see things I want to change and improve....especially the general shape of the domes and doors!
Post a Comment