I've been working on this Hot Cross Buns top for awhile! This name apparently fits several different blocks, but I found this block on-line under that name. It was rather "fussy" to work with all those small squares and I'm glad to have it finished at last.
This was the first time I have ever set blocks on-point in a quilt and it presented me with some challenges. I looked up various formulas for what size to cut the squares for the setting triangles. I finally went plenty big to make sure I had it right! Then I didn't know how to trim the sides of those panels to get them ready to sew together! Luckily I left a half inch rather than a quarter inch, because when I got the last panel sewn on, it didn't match up with the other two exactly at the bottom. It was a tad bit longer! So I had to do some "creative trimming" to get them to look the same. This is why I don't try to make quilts that are entered in quilt shows......I'm not that much of a perfectionist! I'd rather just muddle along with a minimum of ripping out and correcting :-)
I'm not sure I would be in a hurry to set another quilt on-point....at least not in panels like this.
I do like the final result and hope the person getting it will like it too. Now....to get it quilted!
2 comments:
It's an awesome quilt! I love it! Very different from most you see. I know what you mean about having to figure things out sometimes. I tend to put two things together to make something specific, and end up sometimes with a mess, but most of the time I can make it work. I would never enter a show, either because my work is just not that professional. I think the work you do is really beautiful!
Mary, I don't know what happened....I would have sworn I left a comment on this quilt...I just happened to scroll down from the quilt show...I still think this turned out really nice.
Post a Comment