(this first picture is NOT my quilt....just a pattern)
I call my version of this quilt "Crazy Patch Garden". The "Kwik Krazy Also" pattern shown above was the one that I used, and it was a lot of fun, easy and has a lot of vesatility as to what you can do with it.
Obviously, I chose fabric that was much different than the pattern :-) I also chose to not sew my blocks next to each other but to add long strips of fabric in between.
I started with the flowered fabric that you see in the strips as my focal fabric. I fell in love with this beautiful piece of fabric and didn't want to cut it up! There is an entire book called: "Just Can't Cut It" by Pamela Mostek that gives suggestions for those wonderful fabrics that you hate to cut up. I used the colors in that fabric to choose my 12 fabrics for the squares. I have a tendency to use too many fabrics that all have the same "value" and not enough lights to give my quilts a better look.
These crazy squares are made by stacking 12 pieces of 12" fabric on top of each other and ironing a freezer paper pattern to the top one. Then you just use your rotary cutter to cut along the lines! Then you restack each pile by moving 1 piece in the first stack to the bottom, 2 pieces in the second stack to the bottom, etc. Now you have 12 blocks all alike except the colors have shifted around to different spots. Simple! Sewing them back together is a little trickier, but not really hard. Then you take your finished square and lay a 10 1/2" square ruler on top and trim them down to a perfect square. When you lay them out you can turn them any way you want to give further mixing. I first thought about actually doing crazy quilt stitching along some of the lines, but my quilt is so "colorful and busy" it doesn't really need it.
Once again, Linda B quilted it for me on her long-arm machine and I wish you could see the quilting. She quilted flowers in the floral fabric. This is the label that I added. I would like to use this technique for some more projects. I have seen a runner using the squares and the lady who did it, did do crazy quilt stitches on it. I love crazy quilts! I've also seen the squares spaced with simple sashing in between and that was lovely, too! All depends on what your fabric and your own personal tastes are.
I call my version of this quilt "Crazy Patch Garden". The "Kwik Krazy Also" pattern shown above was the one that I used, and it was a lot of fun, easy and has a lot of vesatility as to what you can do with it.My finished quilt is 64" X 69".
2 comments:
Mary, I think I just found the quilt pattern I'm going to use. Actually I had tried this once before and had forgotten about it. I have been buying pieces of pink and beige for my baby quilt I'm going to make, and I also have 4 embroidered 12" squares that I had done many, many year ago that I am going to use in it too. I think it will all go together quite well. Yours are lovely.
Ann: That sounds great! Simple is the best way to go when you are a beginner. This sounds alot like the baby quilt that I bought for my daughter when she was born that was made by ladies at our church. It had cute embroidered animals separated by pink squares :-)
Post a Comment