Thursday, February 3, 2011

Perks of being a President....

Last night our local quilt guild.....Raintree Quilter's Guild....celebrated their 25th anniversary! I've only been in the guild for 5 of those years, but it is a wonderful group of quilters who produce many beautiful things and share them with others as well as have fun. Anyone who serves a term as president of the guild is given a quilt top as a gift when they leave office! A pretty good incentive to serve! 12 of the past presidents brought their quilts in to display them for all the guests at our Anniversary party. The one above was made for the woman who was president the year that I joined. All of us donated 1 or more blocks which were then cut up to make this quilt. I tried to find the blocks I made but couldn't remember what they looked like! It's a beautiful batik quilt.
Sometimes the president requests that people make blocks that are more individual looking like this beautiful example.
Other times the president just chooses a pattern and colors.

I assume this president really loved red :-)

One of my favorites.....each spool and thimble has a name on it of the person who made it.

She was president twice and this quilt belongs to her also!

A nice classic design and beautifully quilted. The President has to do that herself :-)

Linda chose blocks from the "Dear Jane..." quilt book.

A very simple quilt and easy to put names on.

A much more difficult top! I wonder how many people worked on this one?

An interesting pattern.
Last year's president got this one. We seem to be moving more towards the "pick a pattern and a few people work on it". I think the more individualized quilts are prettier and everyone gets to share in the making.
Anyway.....it's a great reason to get involved in our guild and serve as president!

4 comments:

Rose said...

I was just wondering what you were doing, then I remembered what you were going to do last night and thought I would stop in here to see if you had posted anything.

Gee, there is a lot of pretty quilts here...I really like a lot of them.

How many are in your guild and do you think you will ever serve as president?

Mary said...

We have about 125 members and I don't expect to ever be president. I'm too shy to take an office like that and would be intimdated by all the work and "up front" stuff.

Brenda said...

I really wish I could be in a guild or group of quilters. I just don't have time with watching my grand children right now. I tried to make an ocean wave just like the one you posted. I gave up. If you don't have your seams lined up exactly and I do mean exactly...it really shows. I applaud anyone who can do this. Your group sounds really large but fun!

Riel Nason said...

Those are some beauties. I love the idea of the thimbles and spools with names. What a nice personalised "souvenir" for a job well done.