Thursday, June 18, 2009

Working on....Loon

I decided more than a year ago to quilt a loon......and have put it off ever since!
I finally decided to try it. The original pattern is paper-pieced, but I wanted to try to do it as needle-turn applique to get a more rounded look. (the green in the photo is just what it is pinned against on my planning board.) The needle-turn worked pretty well....except on that narrow beak at the end.
I think I will try some more using the paper-pieced pattern. I always seem to mess us when I try paper-piecing and don't cut my pieces big enough. I had fun picking out the different black fabrics for this and have a lot more blacks to make some a little different. I'm not quite done and am debating whether to leave the black borders only on the top and bottom or put it on all 4 sides as I intended. I decided the black rather over-whelmed the piece when I look at it on all sides. No idea how to quilt it since I can't do free motion quilting.

3 comments:

Latane Barton said...

Wow, that is really neat. It looks so real so that is to say you did a great job with the applique.

Mary said...

Latane: thanks!

me ann my camera said...

LOVELY.I don't check your quilt blog often enough. Glad that I did and found this.. I like your fabric choices. I would like to put something together sometime soon. Great job.
Ann